Friday, September 10, 2010

You Took My Breath Away - Mesa Falls Scenic Byway, Idaho

On our trip up to Yellowstone National Park, my Dad and I took Idaho Highway 47, the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway, which began at Ashton, Idaho.

The Lower Mesa Falls, from the viewpoint.

Three main attractions were on the road. The first big attraction on the road was a glimpse of the Tetons from afar. We had seen this mountain range on an earlier trip to Yellowstone, but we had never seen them from the western side. On the earlier trip, we came from Jackson, Wyoming and saw them closer, from the eastern side. It was interesting, but this was only a crumb of the cake that was to come.

The second big attraction the byway offered was the Lower Mesa Falls. I was hoping that the viewpoint was a bit closer to these falls, it was pretty. I thought that the forest area around these falls was quite peaceful, and would have been a great spot to eat lunch.

The final primary attraction on the road was the Upper Mesa Falls. We paid a small day use fee of $5.00 that would allow us to explore the area. We parked our car and headed straight for the overlooks. First came the overpowering roar, which grew stronger as we inched closer to the waterfall. And then...


The Upper Mesa Falls, from a viewpoint that offers a broader view.

Nothing could have prepared me for the shock I was about to receive as I peered my eyes over the railway of the first viewpoint we reached. It was here, I lost my breath. The staggering depth of the fall, the view of the mist emanating, the green cliffs surrounding, along with the mighty roar... it was out of a dream. I was slightly reminded of the movie Avatar. I immediately began pulling out my camera, and I could not stop taking pictures or recording movies. Of course, none of what I recorded could significantly capture the amazing sound or sheer power of the waterfall. In fact, I was in such amazement, one of the movies I recorded you can barely hear me yell, "look at that, ladies and gentlemen, MY GOD!"

At the Upper Falls there were lots of other viewpoints you could access from the wooden walkways. We followed the walkways to these viewpoints, and each one offered a different, but equally breathtaking view of this waterfall. We had a very difficult time leaving the viewpoints!

There was also a visitors' center near the overlooks. Here, you could buy all sorts of goodies primarily relating to Yellowstone Park, which was less than fifty miles away. I was hoping there would be a little more information regarding the Mesa Falls, but the signposts at the overlooks provided a decent enough background on the falls.


A video I took of the Upper Falls from one of the viewpoints.

Both waterfalls are found on the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway, also known as Idaho Highway 47. You can get on the road from the southern end (from Ashton, Idaho) or from the northern end (Harriman State Park, which is near the small town of Island Park, Idaho). There is a small $5.00 day use fee at the viewpoints of the Upper Mesa Falls that is paid up at the turnoff to the falls, but let me tell you, what I experienced was priceless. I do hope I can return to this place, someday. Perhaps on another trip to Yellowstone?

Check out my Flickr for more of my best pictures of the attractions in the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway, and check out some videos of the Upper Falls on my YouTube account.

No comments:

Post a Comment