Friday, September 24, 2010

Land Where the Sun Meets the Rain - White Salmon, Washington and Nearby Places

White Salmon City Hall.
For some people, there are places they travel to that will remain in their hearts forever. For me, this place is White Salmon. Ever since I was only six years old I have been making trips there, usually with my mother or grandfather. This place has been so special to me, I have thought several times about living in this marvelous land when I have a family sometime in the future.

Unfortunately, many people do not know about White Salmon. A lot of people I know have asked where I have been and they always ask where White Salmon is, whenever I mention it.

A view of the Columbia River. Indeed this is a land where the sun meets the rain.
White Salmon is a town located in the extreme south of Washington state, lying peacefully in the hills of the scenic Columbia River Gorge. There are many things about this place that make it so special. Whether it be the gorgeous, mountainous scenery, the cozy town itself, or the diverse array of things to do and places to explore nearby. Here is just a small sampling:

  • The restaurants in White Salmon are fantastic. Three of the big ones to try are Everybody's Brewing, Nanny's Bakery and Cafe on The Corner. There is also a really good ice cream parlor downtown (the name hasn't come to me).
  • Head down to White Salmon Glassworks to watch artists create fine pieces of art with a welcoming attitude.
  • The Columbia River has been described as one of the best places to windsurf in the world. I've also seen a lot of kiteboarders out in the river, which I would really love to try someday. I also remember going sailing on the river with my family and the thrill of going under the Hood River Toll Bridge, which allows one to easily travel between the town of Hood River, Oregon and White Salmon.
  • River rafting in the White Salmon River. This river is near Husum and BZ Corner, two settlements just north of White Salmon. Unfortunately, I have never tried this before, but I hope to do so in the near future.
  • There's many places to fish and swim. Many small lakes are near White Salmon, several that I have fished at include Goose Lake (near Trout Lake, Washington) and Rowland Lake (near Lyle, Washington). These are mere miles away. There are also lakes that are a bit farther, these ones are in Oregon. Timothy Lake and Lawrence Lake are both very close to Mount Hood. If you're headed to Goose Lake, don't forget to stop by the Heavenly Grounds Espresso in Trout Lake and pick up a huckleberry smoothie.
  • Two of the largest mountains from Oregon and Washington, Mount Hood and Mount Adams, respectively, reside within about 60 miles of each other. Many hiking (and definitely skiing) opportunities are abound. The Timberline Lodge of Mount Hood is a cool place to stay.

Houses in White Salmon.

White Salmon is approximately an hour and fifteen minutes east from Portland, Oregon by car. There are several towns nearby including Bingen, Lyle, Dallesport, Vancouver, Stevenson, Goldendale, Hood River and The Dalles.

To the town of White Salmon, this post is for you. You have left a truly fantastic, long-lasting imprint on me which I will always cherish. I'm coming for you again.

Check out more of my pictures of White Salmon here:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=white%20salmon&w=52619990%40N06

More pictures from trips to White Salmon and places nearby:
2005 Trip
2007 Trip
2008 Trip
2010 Trip

No comments:

Post a Comment